Monday, May 7, 2007

Where to get the local GPS maps wor?!

Hmm, I think everyone should be quite familiar with the GPS (Global Positioning System) navigation tool already. "GPS" should be something that can navigate us to a place accurately. Last time, whenever I heard about GPS, I can imagine about having a PDA alike tool with LCD screen in my hand. When i look into the screen i can see my own location and the tool can shows me the way the location I intended.

However, when i purchased my first GPS receiver (HOLUX brand, a simple one)... I just found out that, i actually need a sophisticated local digital map for the GPS receiver, and also a navigation software for it to work as a navigation tool. Without a valid digital map, and navigation software, i just can only see my own location in Longitude & Latitude. In fact, THE MAP IS REAL EXPENSIVE!!! Only then i know... GPS receiver is just a tool that can tell your own location accurately >_< (But, i still can cope to find some free GPS maps online)

Recently, i tried on the new launch N95, which have built-in GPS receiver, it comes with Singapore and Klang Valley maps (smart2go Nokia maps). Map is free, but need to pay extra for the navigation function (-_-!!). Hmm, just have a feel on it at the shop, never test it on the road, so cannot comment on the accuracy (++ It is still at the cost of RM3000 ++ VERY EXPENSIVE!!) . In fact, I think it is quite difficult to get other free digital GPS maps that work on Symbian OS.

Haiz....

3 comments:

Rhythm Lifestyle said...

can get klang valley map mah...but how it count i dunno lah...last time I've try in on a Pocket PC the map call mapapolis ar? forgot the name also...sigh!!

Ah Bao said...

Klang Valley only wor...
The other state one dun have...
if wanna travel to K. Terengganu, and other kampung kampung place, no map then how ar?
we dunno the place then we need a map one mar...

Rhythm Lifestyle said...

haha...dunno lah!! but penang i think have it already.